Hey there and Happy Thursday! I haven’t joined in for a Thinking Out Loud post in a couple of weeks so I’ve got a lot of random things to talk about.
1. I’ve officially been travelling for one month now. 1 month down 11 to go mom. 😉 When I talked to my Mom after my first week of travels I told her, 1 week down only 51 to go. I don’t think she appreciates that sentiment.
The longest I have ever travelled is 3.5 weeks. So far I’m still happy and excited to be continuing on this journey. I’ve been keeping pretty regular contact with my family. Facetime is a lifesaver. Getting to see my nieces and talk to them is the highlight of my week. Seriously worst picture of me but how cute is she! She gets so close to the camera it’s hilarious.
I think we’ve managed to find a good balance of travelling and routine. There’s a big difference between vacation and long-term travelling. When you’re on vacation you feel you need to maximize every moment. I know usually Tom and I are up early and out until late. Now we allow ourselves a lot more downtime. We schedule workouts into our routine and have evenings where we cuddle up and watch Netflix. I’ve been sick twice now – once with a cold and once with food poisoning but it was okay to just take the time to rest and get better because I knew I could always explore the next day.
2. I know one thing people asked us a lot before we left is how we were going to deal with so much one on one time. Tom has been working a week on and week off style job for the past 3 years so we’re not used to always being around each other. Luckily, we kind of like each other a lot. Sure I get cranky at times but as soon as I’m re-caffeinated I apologize and all is forgiven.
Tom’s the peanut butter to my jelly. I honestly can’t imagine I’ll get sick of having him around. But maybe I’ll report back a few months down the road. 😉
3. Managing the blog has been more difficult on the road but I think I’m doing pretty well at keeping up. I have less time to connect and read other blogs but I’m doing my best to keep updated. I’d definitely love to hear from you guys about what you’re liking so far. Are there questions you have or more things you’d like to know about our life on the road?
4. A current frustration of mine is my access to library books. Before leaving I ensured I figured out how to download library books onto my e-reader so I could read to my hearts content. But now when I try to download a book it says my account is not authorized. I am unsure if it has to do with being in another country and having different a IP address or if I’m simply doing something wrong. I’m definitely not techy enough to figure out the problem. So, for now, I’m re-reading the books I already have on my e-reader.
5. By changing our itinerary, we are missing out on the Phuket 10km we were planning to take part in. I’m a little bummed about it but we also haven’t been running as much as I anticipated. Between the heat, travel and some sickness, it hasn’t worked out as I imagined. We still plan to look for races as we travel but we are definitely sticking to the shorter 5 or 10km distances.
What we did find is a great website called Gyms of the World. This travel couple seeks out gyms as they travel and posts about where to find them, how much they cost, their equipment, etc. It’s primarily focused in SouthEast Asia right now so it’s a perfect resource for us. I am looking to write a guest post for them on the yoga studio that I visited recently in Kampot, Cambodia.
6. I plan to do a post about what I’ve packed soon and things I regret bringing. Which brings me to the Beauty Counter Charcoal bar that I bought. I brought this instead of my tried and true Purity face cleanser as a way to cut back on liquids that I was bringing for carry-on purposes. It’s good in that it’s not liquid and will last a long time but I find it’s crap for removing makeup. Considering it costs $30 for a bar of soap, I think it’s a big miss and would not repurchase.