Happy Thursday! I’m joining Amanda again for some Thinking Out Loud Thursday.
1. Yesterday, I attended the Alberta Milk Nutrition File. This is nutrition symposium that usually has some excellent speakers and I always leave feeling excited and full of new ideas. Unfortunately, this year I was a little let down. With the topic of Nutrition Fact or Fiction, I really thought I was in for some good talks. I took a few key messages away but overall I wasn’t wowed. At least, they had M&M cookies, that made up for it!
2. Tom and I went out last night to celebrate his birthday. His birthday is actually tomorrow but he’ll be working (Boo!), so we celebrated early. We went out for dinner at One 18 Empire downtown Calgary. It’s a new whiskey bar which was perfect since Tom love Whiskey and his gift from me was tickets to scotch fest.
They have an extensive whiskey and scotch list plus some really unique whiskey cocktails. Tom started with a whiskey cocktail while I opted for a gin martini.
The food was also delicious. Almost the whole menu is whiskey inspired. From whiskey wings, to whiskey mustard, there’s a little whiskey in everything. We shared a spinach & artichoke dip and then I had cedar plank salmon with brussel sprouts. The salmon was huge and cooked perfectly. Tom enjoyed duck breast. He said it was good. I took his word for it since I’m not a fan of duck.
If you’re local in Calgary, this is a restaurant I think is worth checking out.
3. Last year when I went on a ski trip to Kicking Horse, I ended up straining a muscle from doing a jumping splits during a dance party. This year, I had very explicit instructions not to do my signature move and I didn’t. But I didn’t leave totally unharmed, the last morning I fell down the stairs and got a pretty major bruise on my arm.
This was taken yesterday, it’s already on its way to healing, it looked much worse. Although, it’s not as bad as my friends bruise who fell out of the top bunk of a bunk bed. Yup, drinking and bunk beds don’t go well together.
4. As I’ve mentioned about 1 million times on this blog, I love receiving mail. Yesterday I came home to find my Double Beat medal from Rock ‘n’ Roll heavy medal series in the mail. If you run 2 or more races, you get extra medals. I still have my Rock Trio medal making it’s way to me for finishing San Antonio.
5. Speaking of the Run Rock ‘n’ Roll series, the Rock ‘n’ Blog team for 2016 was announced earlier this week. I didn’t apply this year because I’m trying not to travel to so many races this year. But I admit I definitely had some major FOMO happening when everyone else started announcing their acceptance and race plans. Kaella is trying to talk me into going to San Diego and I have to say, I’m on my way to being convinced. I mean, what would a running year be if the two of us didn’t meet up in a different city at a race?