As you may have noticed a lot of the food I’ve posted lately like my power bowls or roasted sweet potato, broccoli & tempeh salad, are vegetarian. I am not fully committed to a vegetarian lifestyle but I am actively trying to reduce the amount of meat I consume. Both because of taste preference and for health reasons.
I’ve been enjoying creating meatless meals and experimenting with meat alternatives in the kitchen. Beans, tofu and tempeh are certainly not something I grew up eating, so it has been a learning curve to figure out how to incorporate these into my diet and create tasty dishes.
On Sunday, I had a little extra time on my hand and so I decided to make some meatless meatballs. I had no idea how they would turn out and so I was pleasantly surprised when they held together, tasted delicious and even got Tom’s approval.
The basis of the meatless meatballs are made from shredded zucchini and mashed white beans. Then I used egg whites and breadcrumbs to hold it together. I flavoured mine with Italian spices because I planned to put them into a meat sauce but they could be flavoured differently depending on the dish you wanted to create. I think they would be excellent in a sweet & sour sauce over rice too!
These meatless meatballs are a great way to try out a vegetarian dish without going to tofu, which I know most meat lovers fear! Plus, the added bonus to making these at home is you know exactly what’s in them and can control the ingredients. No additives or things you can’t pronounce like the stuff you find in the freezer section, just wholesome nutrition.
- 3/4 cup shredded zucchini (press in paper towel to remove excess water)
- 1 cup cooked white beans, mashed
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg or 4 Tbsp egg whites
- 1tsp garlic
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- Shred zucchini finely. Place in paper towel and squeeze to remove excess water
- In a bowl, mash cooked white beans with potato masher
- Mix together zucchini, beans, egg, breadcrumbs and spices. Mix well
- Roll into small meatballs
- Heat olive oil in frying pan on medium heat
- Cook meatballs until browned and warm (approximately 6-10 minutes)